Sports Night: Netflix Streaming Hidden Gem Surprises

Click to watch this TV show on Netflix streaming here!

As I've said time and time again on this Netflix blog (and actually pretty recently), I'm a huge sucker for good writing in sitcoms, TV shows, films, movies, whatever. If it's written well (ie either has good dialogue or is regarding something outside the box - but not over-the-top) then I usually am undoubtedly a big fan.

And, as I've continually talked about on this site, I'm a big fan of Aaron Sorkin. I'm really running out of "new" things (to me) to watch of Sorkin's, and it's beginning to kind of worry me. I usually always have one more big TV series or film of Sorkin's that I haven't yet had the time to sit down and watch, and with the watching of "Sports Night" on Netflix, I'm down one more.

Either way, Sports Night was truly worth it to watch, and it's really fun to see Aaron Sorkin's dialogue and writing style mix into a different kind of atmosphere. This is a sitcom... with a laugh track.

Yeah, you read that right. When I heard that, I didn't really believe it myself. Why would Aaron Sorkin write a show that has a laugh track? To me, it didn't seem logical or.. right.

But then I watched the show, and it was everything I really thought it would be. The laugh track seems to almost fade away completely after the first couple of episodes, as the show (and Sorkin's writing) just doesn't need it. In fact, I would go so far as to say that a laugh track wouldn't be able to really keep up with the quick-witted stylings of his authorship, and to think they could for an entire series would be to say you don't really understand how fluid the conversations of his characters can be.

Nonetheless, this was the early days of Aaron Sorkin, so he hadn't really made a name for himself with things like The West Wing. It's really cool to see (with some familiar faces that pop up) how his writing was honed back in the 90's with shows like this.

Add it onto your Netflix streaming queue if you want to watch a show about a show, with a focus on sports. If you don't like sports, you should shut up, because this show is hardly about sports, and more about characters. I mean, even if you don't like sports, you're going to be able to fully appreciate and support the characters' love of sports, just by the expression of the full humanity of it all. Go add it to your Instant queue!

2 comments:

John Marcotte said...

The laugh track faded away because Sorkin didn't want it. ABC made him include it and he got rid of it as soon as no one was looking.

tamara lorens said...

Sports Night, is great tv show and j recommend everyone to watched on tv or netflix or other streaming sites.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Us!