Sharing Netflix Password Illegal. Jail? Seriously?

Everybody knows that it's not really "okay" with Netflix's Terms of Service to share your password. I know lots of you probably do this, but come soon in the United States (or at least Tennessee) you might have to seriously consider if it's worth the risk, because apparently, it's to become a jail-able offense.

From The Tennessean:
State lawmakers in country music’s capital have passed a groundbreaking measure that would make it a crime to use a friend’s login — even with permission — to listen to songs or watch movies from services such as Netflix and Rhapsody.

The bill, which has been signed by Gov. Bill Haslam and takes effect July 1, was pushed by recording industry officials to try to stop the loss of billions of dollars to illegal music sharing. They hope other states will follow.
My first reaction: "Wow, seriously?"

The Tennessean continued...
Stealing $500 or less of entertainment would be a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of $2,500. Theft with a higher price tag would be a felony, with heavier penalties.
I can't imagine it being that hard to rack up $500 in streaming movies on Netflix streaming, so this seems like an easy crime to punish severely, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Amanda said...

How on earth do they plan on enforcing that? Sounds like a giant waste of time and tax dollars.

What about when I drop off my toddler at my mom's house and tell her it's okay to let the little one watch an episode of Dora streaming? I sometimes pass a dvd and NetFlix mailing envelope to my sister-in-law to watch when I'm done. If I lived in Tennessee, would they soon try to fine me for that also? Stupid.

Tom said...

From Netflix Terms of Use:

"BY SHARING THE NETFLIX SERVICE PASSWORD, THE ACCOUNT OWNER AGREES TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSURING THAT HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS COMPLY WITH THE TERMS OF USE AND SUCH ACCOUNT OWNER SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTIONS OF THE HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS."

http://www.netflix.com/TermsOfUse#passwords

So it looks like it is okay with Netflix to share your password with household members, yes?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Us!