The Larry Sanders Show: Netflix Hidden Gem Surprises

Click to watch the television show on Netflix streaming here!

I decided to give The Larry Sanders a shot when it was mentioned in our Netflix Forum, as well as from an interview I watched with Tina Fey. In the interview, she was asked what she thought was "funny" when growing up and what she thought really seemed to influence her humor. She named The Larry Sanders Show in there.

The Larry Sanders Show was a show on HBO, starring Garry Shandling and Jeffrey Tambor (of Arrested Development fame), about a fictional late-night talk show. The talk show inside the show is of course titled, The Larry Sanders Show.

So, just like shows like Entourage and Curb Your Enthusiasm on HBO, this show kind of started the wave of celebrities playing sort of "impressions" of themselves on this show. It's a completely fictionalized show, and when celebrities come to be guests on the talk-show, all the background conversations are written to be how the real person would talk, but of course it's all basically a parody of the person.

I think I'm making this all out to sound more complicated than it really is, so I'm just going to stop talking about the pseudo-versions of the people and simply state that, just like Entourage and Curb Your Enthusiasm, it's so fun to see people you know and recognize come into a new atmosphere and make you laugh, even if it's not what you're particularly used to from them. A lot of awkward moments arise.

I enjoy this show because it's fascinating to me to see the workings of the "background" of TV shows, and especially the dynamics of having to work with big-name faces on a regular basis. What's funny about this show is that so many of the celebrities are still so young, so it's funny to see a younger version of the people I recognize.

Check it out if it sounds like something you'd be interested in. I know that I've had PLENTY of people recommend it to me over the past year, on Twitter and other places, and finally getting around to see it, I found it very enjoyable. Word of warning though, that this show, while old, wasn't shot in the greatest of quality. If that's the kind of thing that bothers you on Netflix streaming, you might not enjoy this show as much as some.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Us!