Netflix Saving Cancelled Shows? The Event?

If you hadn't heard yet, NBC gave the sci-fi drama TV show "The Event" the axe this past week. The show was a new series that had much discussion around it, and actually got off to a good start, ratings-wise. It really went downhill after the first episode or two, in terms of ratings (as well as my opinion on the show - I stopped watching after about two episodes).

Now, we've all been brought aware to the fact that Netflix is going to slowly but surely begin churning out its own original material, starting with a show made by David Fincher and Kevin Spacey.

But, now the Internet is becoming abuzz over the idea that Netflix is going to begin "saving" television shows that are given the axe, or canceled, on broadcast or cable television, and keep them going online with Netflix streaming.

Apparently, the first big name of a series to be floated around as an idea for Netflix to do this for is The Event. According to deadline.com:
Talks are underway with at least one distribution partner to take over the serialized drama. The Event executive producer Steve Stark wouldn't comment, but I hear new original programming player Netflix's name tossed around.
So, we'll just have to wait and see what happens there. I guess I will be very surprised if Netflix takes a leap into "saving canceled shows' with a show like The Event, though. The Event really didn't get good ratings in its one and only season on television, so I think it'd be much more likely for Netflix to take this first step with a show that has either been running longer than one season or has proven itself to have a loyal fan base (see: most shows canceled on Fox).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really hope Netflix doesn't waste my money on a show as bad as The Event.

Anonymous said...

I really wanted The Event not to suck.

You can't always get what you want.

Anonymous said...

I like to see then save Stargate Universe. Having another SG series end and nothing in the pipe really blows

InstaFlicka Podcast said...

I don't see it happening -- at least not with THE EVENT. I don't really know anybody that likes that show, plus the cost to keep it alive would probably be pretty given the cast and production values.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Us!