Mystery Team: Netflix Surprises


Click to watch the movie on Netflix streaming here!

I'm a big fan of the NBC show Community, and therefore a big fan of Donald Glover. Being a big fan of Donald Glover, I'm therefore a big fan of much of the stuff he does.

Mystery Team is a movie created and starring a few friends at "Derrick Comedy." Derrick Comedy is a sketch comedy group from New York University. They've garnered a lot of reputability over the past few years through gaining a large following on YouTube.

Anyway, these dudes got together and made a movie, and it just so happens to be available for streaming on Netflix!

The movie itself is awkward, quirky, and bizarre, but that's what gives it its charm. It's a low budget film made by a bunch of friends, but in all honesty, this isn't very easily discernible on viewing. The cinematography is surprisingly good.

As for the "funny" factor itself, I actually found myself laughing aloud several times in the movie. A lot of jokes are very well timed, and when executed, made me burst out. At the same time, there are a LOT of jokes in the movie that just don't come off well at all, and I felt like the movie was trying almost too hard to get me to laugh at them.

A lot of these awkward parts I've mentioned have to do with very long gaps between cuts, wherein there's almost a pause to reel in the awkwardness, realize there IS a pause, laugh, and watch the cut. This happens a lot, but it's okay in my book because overall the movie was fun despite its over-the-top tone.

This is definitely not a movie for everyone, but if you can relax and take in the, what I might consider, a "satire of subtle humor," for what it is, it's worth watching. As I've heard many people say, this seems like the kind of movie that will spark a large cult following (because it's just so dang stupid), so if you want to hop on the bandwagon before that happens, get on now.

1 comment:

birdfeed said...

This is definitely a fun, silly movie. If you like Troy on Community, you'll enjoy this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Us!