Mary and Max: Netflix Hidden Gem Surprises


Click to stream the movie on Netflix streaming here!

It's been awhile since I first streamed this movie on Netflix. I've had a hard time deciding what I think of it, as it really is the kind of movie that's as good as you're conditioned to like movies like it to be.

What that is to say, is that it's really a depressing freaking movie. I mean, really depressing. There are times in which I'm in the mood to watch a movie like this, but when I watched it, it wasn't what I was looking for. I think that really affected the way in which I viewed it, as I remember distinctively having it bring down my mood.

That all being said, it's a great movie with some absolutely great animation. If you can't tell from the cover, it's a claymation animated film, focusing on the interconnected lives of the two main characters: a young little girl living in Australia and an old, fat man with Asperger's Syndrome.

The movie follows their lives as, as pen-pals, they age and explain their problems, worries, anxieties, and frustrations. The problem is that they're both in a pretty bad rut the whole movie, and it's super depressing to watch them both be miserable.

I've probably already given too much away from the plot, and for that I apologize. I do think that it's something you need to go in prepared for (unlike I was).

If you go in expecting what you get, it's a superb film. It's something you probably haven't heard much about, and if you're looking for something like this and are up to the tone, it might be just the hidden gem you're looking for.

What did you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wanted to LOVE mary and max. its the kind of tim burtonesque, subtle, emo type movie that i like. i definetely had some moments where i laughed, especially when max was writing really odd things. ultimately i didnt LOVE it. i felt like it could have been better, but i cant think of how i would improve it. cute story, great animation.

also FWIW, i thought it was a completely true story, its really just based loosely on one.

odoyle

Christopher said...

I'll give it a look.

Anonymous said...

I did love Mary and Max. But, I sure kept thinking about it for a long time. And that one song still pops in my head now and then.

InstaFlicka Podcast said...

This is such a lovely little movie and the voice work is second-to-none! For realz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Us!