Netflix Queue to View Movies Online: A Curse?

Right now I came to the conclusion that the Instant Netflix Queue, at least for me, seems to be more of a curse than anything.

Like everyone, as soon as I come across a movie that I'm interested in, I sling it to the bottom of my Netflix Queue, and lo and behold, it probably never gets watched (or at least, doesn't get watched for a very long time).

My instant queue is absolutely packed with movies, but so often, the list of movies becomes so large that it almost becomes intimidating. I've found that I'm much more apt to watch a movie if I watch it right away, rather than adding it to my queue to watch later.

For me at least, adding anything to my Instant Queue is condemning it to not be watched for at least a week or two. I know this is all mindless rambling, but it's something I really just figured I needed to write down.

If nothing else, this blog post can be my attempt to try to motivate myself to be a little more diligent in cleaning up my queue. But maybe I'll do it later...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

so netflix adds 20% of their content to be watched immediately for NO EXTRA COST, a truly remarkable breakthrough that is changing the industry, and allows taylor to create a blog... and he sees it as a curse?

Anonymous said...

well the main problem too is why even have an instant queue? unfortunately my blu-ray player is so old that the only way to access netflix is through the instant queue, so i have to use it, but it would be much better if i could just search for a movie by name/genre/whatever and play it when i feel like it. scanning through my queue is mind numbing and i can only add to it by going back to my computer and searching.

#firstworldproblems

Donna said...

I would be lost without the queue. I don't usually know what I want to watch. I don't want to have to randomly browse everything every time I want to watch something. Sometimes I run across things that I want to see, but am not in the mood for right then. Last week I watched "King Corn" which had been in my queue for probably a year. Sometimes I'll be reading something online (maybe even a Netflix-based blog?)and there will be mention of a movie that sounds interesting. I may not have time to watch it then, but I'll put it into my queue to see later.

Anonymous said...

My instant queue is so overfull that it's getting unmanageable as well--however here is what I use it for.. every weekend I go look at my instant queue and look for "Expiring on" red text.. then I decide if I want to watch it. :)

Andy Slezak said...

Additionally, this is where the 3rd party tools come in handy. They help you wade through the madness. I would feel overwhelmed without them. I recently purchased cinetap on my ipod/iphone/ipad, which dynamically sorts by ending soon, netflix suggested rating, actor, genre, etc. It's really helpful in picking something to watch while sitting on the couch. Then you can "move to top", and you no longer have to scroll through your queue to find it. Just refresh and watch.

I also like feedfliks.com because it alerts me via email when something is expiring or if I've kept a DVD for too long (say, a week). I welcome other 3rd party recommendations. :) Oh, and I don't work for either of the aforementioned. I'm simply a happy customer of both products.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Us!