Monsters: Netflix Surprises


Watch this hidden gem on Netflix streaming online here!

I heard vague mumblings about this movie awhile ago, and what I heard got me excited to watch it. Unbeknown to me until a couple days ago, it went to Netflix streaming, and I was able to watch without having to have a dvd sent home (I'm still on a 1-dvd plan, even with all the Netflix streaming I watch.).

Monsters is a very low budget film, but you'd never assume that from watching. When I first heard about this film, the way it was described sounded a lot like Alien in Mexico, but this isn't really much the way I'd describe it.

Aliens have, though, "invaded" earth, and they're stuck in Mexico. Humans have walled them into a contained area in northern Mexico; an area described as nothing much other than "contaminated."

Our two protagonists in the movie happen to be in this area, and due to some unforeseen circumstances, they're forced to handle more than they expected if they want to get back to the United States.

If you're expecting a really violent alien movie, that's not what you're going to get. It's very much a character-driven storyline, and much more about the idea of surviving than it is anything action-based.

That's not to say the movie is boring at all. I loved it. I thought the plot was set at a great pace, and, despite the exciting tone set by the first couple minutes of the movie, its slight-slowness allowed the perfect amount of tension.

If I was to quickly describe this movie as a mathematical equation, it would probably be something like this:

(War of the Worlds + District 9) - Alien = Monsters

If you've seen the movie, tell me if you think that equation makes any sense to you. If you haven't seen the movie, add it to your Instant queue and begin watching! It's a great hidden gem!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

(rottentomatoes - netflix - commonsense) + Taylor / O'Doyle = netflix already suggests movies, so why does this blog exist?

Anonymous said...

11:14 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This was a really great movie. Very surprising. Loved it.

Taylor said...

11:14 is not available for streaming on Netflix, at least in the U.S.

InstaFlicka Podcast said...

I had the same experience with this movie. I think your equation generally makes sense. You have awe of War of the Worlds and the politics of District 9, but you do not have the mass destruction you get in Alien.

I generally liked this movie, but I have to say there really wasn't much to it. The backdrop is great. The concept is great. The execution and plot, not so much.

This movie tries to be earnest, but there is a surprising lack of depth. Yet, I did like it, probably because I love indie film. It is nice to get something different.

P.S. We will be reviewing this movie on the InstaFlicka Podcast this next week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Us!