Exam: Netflix Surprises


I'm a big fan of the Saw series. Well, at least the first film in the series.

I'm not a big fan of gore (or torture), and that's why the first film is aesthetically pleasing, but I also find the first film to be a lot more intrinsically better than the rest as well. Why? Because it was pretty much the only film to have individuals in one room the entire movie, communicating and being a part of the rising action solely together, without too much extrinsic stimuli.

This is the same reason I love zombie movies. Not because zombies are awesome (they are), but because of the fact that the best zombie movies are about human interactions within small, confined spaces. All this being said, I found Exam to be very similar to the original Saw movie, minus the gore (and overall "horror-film factor").

"Exam" is about a select collection of very intelligent individuals, all vying for a position within an excruciatingly competitive field. They have been put into a room for a test, and they have only a short while to complete the test. The problem is that they don't know what the test is. They've been told they must answer a question, but the question is, what is the question? Sound confusing? You're not alone - the characters are confused as well.

This was an exciting movie that I've been waiting to see for a very long time. I've actually had it in my mail-order Netflix queue for a long while now, and it's been on a very long wait for a very long time. To my dismay, it became available on Netflix streaming this past week, and I was excited to finally watch.

It was just about everything I'd hoped for. I loved it, and if you're interested in the same types of "human interaction in confined places" aspect of films that I am, you're going to love it too.

The movie itself is like a large puzzle. The movie has us all guessing what could be next, along with the characters. It's a fun ride that forces you to pay very close attention, but the ending makes it all worth it. I'm very interested to see if you all found the movie as good and fun as I did, so go stream it on Netflix now!

6 comments:

ericspiegelphotography said...

I'm assuming you've seen Cube, but if you haven't it'll be right up your alley. Thanks for the suggestion!

Taylor said...

I've been wanting to see Cube for awhile now. I've been patiently waiting for the day it comes to Netflix Instant!

Joost Schuur said...

Five Fingers is another movie in that same style, and also on Netflix streaming.

Nine Dead too, based on the IMDB forum for Exam, but I haven't seen it yet.

Also similar are Fermat's Room and Identity, but not available for streaming.

Nick said...

This reminded me a lot of The Killing Room, which I caught on cable a few months ago. Unfortunately it's not on streaming, but it's certainly worth a rental.

Christopher said...

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a pretty interesting flick.

Kyle said...

Thanks for pointing out this movie, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Us!