Netflix Surprises: The House of the Devil


Click to watch here!

If you've been following my posts so far, you know that I really like to get into the Halloween season. Yesterday I was looking through the possible horror movies I could watch, and Netflix suggested I watch this film. I gave it a shot, and it's incredible!

It heavily pays homage to the 1980s horror genre - from the music that's played, to the font style of the credits. Everything about the movie simply felt as if it was released about 25 years ago (in a good way).

The problem with horror movies today is that they obviously rely too much on gore and loud surprise noises. This movie does neither, and relies heavily on bringing the audience slowly but surely into the story by gradually raising the tension as the movie goes along.

I don't want to give too much away, but this movie is a great horror film because it's actually horror. Too many "scary" movies these days are actually terror. This movie is actually very horrifying, because the way it's directed, you really feel the same emotions as the main character as you're brought into the setting.

It was a great surprise for me, and if you're looking for something to add to your Instant Queue on this Halloween eve, you're not going to do too much better on Netflix than by streaming this movie. I enjoyed it, and I hope you do too. We suggest it because it certainly was a surprise to us!

3 comments:

Matthew said...

Did you know they released Vhs copies of this film too? If I still had a working VCR, that'd clearly be the best way to experience this
film. High def has the opposite effect on it vs. what you'd prefer. You want HOtD to be as gritty as possible.

One thing I haven't looked up recently is the soundtrack. I'm sure by now someone has compiled one from it. I loved the music almost as
much as the film... So good.

Taylor said...

Thanks for the comment, Matthew! I like the idea of watching this on VHS. It seems like the "right" way to watch it. I liked the soundtrack as well!

SmithCommaJohn said...

I just watched this movie on Saturday. My girlfriend loves horror movies, and I'm not as much of a fan of the genre. But, it was the night before Halloween, and we were in the mood for something scary.

We both loved it.

It was extremely well done, recreating the look and feel of late 70s/early 80s horror movies perfectly. The climax was genuinely scary, and the final twist was chilling, as well as being surprising without totally coming out of nowhere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Us!