Netflix Surprises: The Orphanage


Another aspect of this website that I'm excited to debut is what I'm going to call "Netflix Surprises." These will be exactly what they sound like: a movie or TV show that either I (or the general public) figured to be something not worth watching, wasn't popular, etc. but that I found surprisingly good, and I recommend it for streaming. Basically, these have to do with something outdoing the expectations that I had placed upon them based on the media or hearsay, and I'm here to tell you to ignore them and watch it!

Today I'd like to tell you about a movie that I loved. Now, first off, I'm a bit of a sucker when it comes to horror flicks. Especially during the Halloween season, there's nothing I like more than watching scary movies. In fact, I like scary movies so much, that I try to round up all my friends almost every night in October to watch movies in what I call "scary movie month," where nightly we watch another scary movie.

But enough about me. The Orphanage (or El Orfanato) is a foreign film that's spoken in Spanish. I know that for a lot of people, the idea of reading alone would make a movie not only not worth watching, but would make it impossible to be scary. That's simply not the case with this movie, as it has what I consider the most scary scene that I have ever seen in a movie.

I loved the way the film built up the mystery of the setting the characters were in, allowing you hints and clues to what was to come, and even when you might know what's coming, it's still just as scary! I don't want to give away too much here, because the not-knowing factor is one of the things that made me like this movie the most. I went into it not knowing anything, and because of it, didn't know what to expect.

The movie itself is about a couple who decide to revamp an old orphanage home. This alone should be all you need to know about this film to know you need to watch if you like scary movies.

Yes, this movie is horrifying.

On a side note, this movie was very good, even on a non-scary-movie-basis. I found it touching and inspiring, and I'd recommend it to people who don't even like scary movies (but of course, if you do, you'll like it even more). So go add it to your queue on Netflix Watch Instantly, you won't regret streaming it, as it's one of the scariest movies on Netflix, but at the same time, one of the best movies on Netflix.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Us!